Poultry diseases and treatment
Dr. Mujeeb Ather Asst. Director (Pathologist)
Veterinary Biological Research Institute, Hyderabad .
Causative agent – Picornaviridae virus.
- Depressions, ataxia and tremors in chicks.
- Temporary 5 to 10% drop in egg production for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Reduced hatchability.
- Opacity of the eye lens (unilateral or bilateral in a few cases).
- The nervous signs are seen in chicks soon after hatching, more commonly
noted in first week of age.
- Hatchability is lowered by 5%.
- In breeders, drop in egg production by 5 to 10%.
- Gross lesions are not seen in young or adult birds. However in few survivers
opacity and fixation of lens of the eye is seen.
- Gliosis, congestion with presence of lymphoid aggregates in brain.
- Isolation and identification of the virus.
- Virus neutralization test.
- Indirect fluorescent antibody test.
- Immuno diffusion test.
- Passive HA test.